The recent trend of free, city-wide wireless internet access is raising some eyebrows, mine included. From BBC News, "Manchester could become the biggest free wireless internet hotspot in Europe under plans unveiled by the city council."
If a city is providing free internet access, what are the implications for its citizens and users?
- What do the ISPs have to say about this?
- Should we listen to what the ISPs would say?
- Will the government be regularly monitoring/regulating use?
- If everyone is on one network, what are the security implications?
- How will deadspots be dealt with?
- Do you really want the internet to be accessible from anywhere?
I can’t be the only one to raise these concerns.. can I?